Cyclists in Qatar have got a new place to paddle away in peace. Yesterday on 11th February saw the opening of 33 km-long Olympic Cycling Track on Al Khor Road as part of National Sport Day activities held by Public Works Authority (Ashghal). It was opened by Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, H E Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz Al Thani.
The cycling track is meant to encourage more residents to stay fit and healthy. There are many new features of this stretch. Read on to know more :
Source : The Peninsula Qatar
1. Apart from being 33 km in length, the cycling track is 7 meters in width. This will enable international sports competitions and allow a speed of 50 km per hour.
2. It has 29 tunnels and 5 bridges constructed to ensure better safety.
3. There are 5 car parkings made by Ashghal which stretch from Qatar University, Lusail Station, Lusail International Circuit, Semaisma Interchange and Al Bayt Stadium.
4. Ashghal has also installed 1,450 lighting poles to make sure cycling enthusiasts can come at night as well.
5. The event also saw participation of employees, officials, QOC , Qatar Cycling Federation and Qatar Sports Federation for Special needs along with 500+ cyclists.