Thursday saw the inauguration of the much awaited Al Janoub Stadium in Al Wakrah. The stadium hosted its inaugural match, the finale of HH the Amir Cup 2019, which ended with the victory of Al Duhail club after beating Al Sadd 4-1.
Al Janoub stadium not only marked Al Duhail as winners of Amir Cup 2019 but also saw the Future FIFA 2022 World Cup stadium in full glory. Here are some amazing facts of the stadium and its history :
1. The Al Janoub stadium is the first of 8 stadiums which will host the FIFA 2022.
2. The construction work had started in the year 2014.
3. The stadium was designed by Zaha Hadid.
4. The unique design may look like Dhow boats as these were the inspiration behind the design.
5. The stadium has a roof height of 230 mts.
6. Al Janoub stadium has the capacity to host 40,000 people.
7. The sports complex is multipurpose and houses swimming pools, spas, shopping centers among others.