A valued food source with large amounts of of zinc, Vitamin C and calcium, oysters are a delicacy across the world. Given Qatar’s fishing and pearling history, oysters have been eaten here since times immemorial. In fact, Qatar also has a dedicated sculpture of it which is famous with tourists. On this special day we share with you a few facts that we bet you didn’t know about Oysters :
1. Oysters are great at filtering water. In fact, a single oyster can filter 50 gallons of water and a healthy one-acre reef around 24 million gallons.
2. Oysters eat phytoplankton and this is pulled into their mouth by cilia.
3. Oysters form reefs or beds and provide habitat for many fish and other aquatic fauna.
4. Oysters are great at absorbing shock waves of the ocean. Their presence is directly related to lack of erosion in many areas.
5. Pearls are born out of irritation, yes! When sand or anything equivalent goes into the Oyster, it produces chemicals that make the pearl.
6. Oysters do not fare well with oil at any stage of life, whether larvae or full grown.
7. And finally, did you oysters are generally eaten alive. Exactly, enjoy these delicacies and do tell us how you like them.